Reflections




When I reflect on my 22 years of life, I believe I’ve been drawn to Africa. In my childhood, it might have been my grandparents who sparked my interest in the continent by neglecting to read to me books about farm animals. Instead, I remember three books that detailed the lives of wild, African animals: a baby giraffe, elephant, and hippo. From that point in my life, I was also blessed to travel with my family and experience new cultures in and out of the U.S. I loved art in high school, and the one painting that still hangs, framed in our upstairs hall, is the setting sun on an African savanna. The orange-yellow sky silhouettes an elephant and an umbrella thorn tree. In college, MKs—that is, missionary kids who, to my surprise, were often Caucasians—and friends from Africa told me exciting stories about the life and culture of different countries on the mysterious continent. They enlightened me, and helped me realize dreams I had never recognized. A trip with my Volleyball team, prior to my junior year of college, set something inside me in stone. We visited a small Haitian village in the middle of a steaming jungle. The people, the culture, and something else stirred me with a desire. A desire, I discovered, people call the desire to go.

                                                      *          *          *

Applying for a position at a non-profit organization may seem like a silly idea to some people. I know my family means best for me when they want me to succeed, to have a steady income, and, most of all, to be safe. I can understand those things, but I can't say I want to pass up a knocking I feel deep within me. Especially if it means travel, new cultures, and using the skills I love. This is the oldest I’ve ever been and the youngest I will ever be from this point on. I cannot pass up a chance like this and then regret never knowing.
So, when I applied for an international internship with Samaritan's Purse I had no clue where I'd be going. With each interview my nerves twisted. I could not choose where I would go in this world; I would be sent where I was needed. Not everyone agreed with my decision to go blindly. “This is God's plan,” I reassured myself.
The Great Commission can be found at the end of Matthew 28. “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surly I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” The word NATIONS is mentioned 1,500 times in the Bible. God cares about the nations. He confirmed His plan and the desires He put inside me the day I found out the position I applied for was in South Sudan. Africa.
In response to worry? Often, Psalm 46:10 is used to comfort people. It is used to bring peace. However, we frequently only read the first half of the verse: “Be still, and know that I am God…” It is comforting, but the rest of the verse says this: “I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” He wants His name made known, and that is the desire of my heart. He says it 1,500 times… I believe it is not a suggestion.

                                                     *          *          *

After my lifetime of school, some travel experience, discovering what skills I do and do not have, convincing family and friends of the desires of my heart, experiencing disappointments, breathtaking conversations, loss, heart breaks, and even making a vow—or maybe shouting at God—that I would go to Africa on my own if I had to... I am finally going. I actually won't be alone, though. Preparations had already been made, in me and in the people I will meet in South Sudan, long before I knew about the continent to my east. Someone has been in on the plan all along. I am thankful that, for this brief glimpse in time, I know where I am supposed to be headed. That may not be a comfort to everyone in my life in this current moment, but, I pray, one day it will be all the comfort we need. In the mean time I’m preparing for my departure.


I.   Am.   Finally.   Going.   To.   Africa.



Comments

Popular Posts