Paperclips and Prayers

Photo Credit: Grant McCurdy


            
            A week ago, I found myself in a circle of hiring papers, forms, and paper clips. It was only a few days until I would learn more than I have ever known about Samaritan’s Purse and my purpose in serving with them. Weeks of gathering together supplies and clothes, booking flights, faxing forms, drawing blood, getting immunization shots, and experiencing some nervous/excited anticipation has ended in my arrival in Boone, North Carolina for orientation and training. I praise the Lord for those of you who are praying for me. Thank you for the comfort of your support at home.
I have met so many amazing people this week, and I’ve spent every day with my fellow interns. We are all so different, but are united by our beliefs and values. I am amazed at how God called each of us to this internship, and how well we have gotten along. I feel as if I have known them for so long. It’s like finding out about long-lost brothers and sisters. I already deeply care for these people, though we met only seven days ago.
For no apparent reason, the accents of these people stood out to me. Accents have been one of my favorite things to listen to since being in Boone. In my orientation group, there are Kenyans, a girl from Burundi, a guy from the UK, a couple from Norway, and many from all over the US. From Alaska to Florida the accents differ immensely. The men from Kenya and the woman from Burundi use such poetic language. Their sentences are in no rush at all, and they seem to speak only the richest words that are most important. The guy from England uses proper, beautiful words to mean that same thing I might say, in a much more moving way than I can say them. There is also a guy from Alabama. His is what I might call a classic, southern plantation accent; it’s as if he’s continually flirting with the vowels he chooses. Listening to these amazing people has been a treat, and I don't think I have laughed this much in my life. My heart hurts when I think of having to leave them this Friday when we all leave for our different countries.


*  *  *

Orientation has submerged us in what seems like a vast lake of information. The amount is overwhelming, but the content is refreshing and encouraging. I have come to respect Samaritan’s Purse more than ever before. The amount of quality care in each detail of the organization is unheard of in any other company I’ve ever known. One quote I learned this week is, “The quality of our work is the platform of our witness.” I love this and I’ve seen it in every aspect of this ministry this week.
Prayer covers every decision they make. I respect that aspect of the ministry because I feel like this year I have so strongly wanted to consult Jesus in every decision I make, big and small. I continually fail. I forget Him. Yet, He has never once forgotten me... I do not walk alone. And when I board my plane this Friday, He will be there.


Note: All of the opinions on this blog are my own and do not reflect those of Samaritan’s Purse.

Comments

Popular Posts